What is business casual? See the definition of business casual attire, business casual dress code + easy to copy outfit ideas for women & men. In today’s article I will explain what each of them means and how you can create an office appropriate style for every season. With my tips, creating such a look will not be hard, as each outfit comes with shopping links.
You can recreate the outfits or you can add your own personal twist to them. I will also show you how to do that and not break the dress code rules. I have ideas for business casual men but also business casual women styles. Let’s get started.
The definition of business casual says that it is a fashion style to wear in the office, by men and women. It has mostly formal office fashion items but also includes casual ones. In the past, office jobs required strict dress codes but all this changed in the recent years. The strong rules of traditional business attire were replaced in some offices with what is called a more casual style.
Here comes the confusing part for most people, as the term casual relates to a very informal outfit. So how can we dress in a business casual attire and combine office and relaxed clothing without looking out of place or ridiculous? For this I will list below what you should and should not wear in such a style. Simply follow my advice and you will master this look in no time.
BUSINESS CASUAL ATTIRE
Let’s begin with the rules for both men and women when creating this type of attire:
- casual doesn’t mean wearing tracking suits or sport clothing
- do not wear an entire outfit of casual clothing, as the style must mostly include office clothes
- do not wear clothing that could be worn on the beach
- do not wear clothing that is too revealing or extremely tight
- do not wear leggings, tank tops, mini or maxi skirts
Next, I will present to you outfit ideas for office attire that are a positive example.
BUSINESS CASUAL ATTIRE FOR WOMEN
The staple relaxed but also professional outfit is the one made from:
- blouse (the one at https://amzn.to/2LVZO5X comes in office friendly colors)
- casual blazer from https://amzn.to/2N2iVuP
- classic straight leg jeans (make sure they are not too tight and that they are not ripped or distressed). At https://amzn.to/2PqzgXy you will find a good example such jeans.
For cold weather, a solution to adding a cool touch to your traditional office outfit is to buy an elegant two piece suit (https://amzn.to/2OcWaBe) and match it with a colorful shirt (https://amzn.to/2OcW0tw) or with a print shirt. This will customize your suit showing your personality and will still keep a decent style.
- Wrinkle free white blouse (long sleeved from https://amzn.to/2MikSPW or short sleeved from https://amzn.to/2vi30OR)
- Floral printed skirt from https://amzn.to/2O9AVjC
- Dark blue handbag from https://amzn.to/2Mm7xq2
- Marble design watch from https://amzn.to/2ne8TYS
- Low heel pumps from https://amzn.to/2KpLdd3.
In the option above, you can wear a black or white shirt and add a pencil skirt that has interesting prints. In the selection from https://amzn.to/2LRRcgh, you can pick the ones that have prints (ignore the plain ones). I do not recommend wearing mini or maxi skirts in the office. Do not combine a printed shirt with a printed skirt as it will create a terribly matched outfit that will resemble a circus.
- Wrinkle free black shirt from https://amzn.to/2KxKiaQ
- Comfortable boot cut pants from https://amzn.to/2NHoxYb
- Printed handbag from https://amzn.to/2MHZTdF
- Watch from https://amzn.to/2otXEfx
You can wear a black, white, grey or colored shirt, along with these comfortable boot cut pants. They are great because they are not with a slim fit that would perhaps be too sexy but instead with a large fit at the ankle, for added comfort. Pair these simple items with a handbag that has an interesting embroidery, to add fun to this casual business outfit for women. Add a nice watch in the tones of the bag, for a pleasant color match.
BUSINESS CASUAL ATTIRE FOR MEN
To add a casual twist to your office outfit, add a cool t-shirt or a polo shirt and pair it to this kind of pants.
- Cotton men’s t-shirt from https://amzn.to/2wwc6rW
- or cotton polo shirt from https://amzn.to/2C4aavT
- Blazer from https://amzn.to/2N6rCUN
- Men pants from https://amzn.to/2owLoLi
- Watch from https://amzn.to/2wBJFb3
- Shoes from https://amzn.to/2C7pNCU
I personally recommend you to stay away from t-shirts with quotes and drawings. In the office, it is best to wear a neutral style, in order to not get political or in any kind of situation where you can offend someone. The blazer adds a touch of balance to the casual t-shirt, making the outfit office appropriate. Avoid men pants that are distressed or too tight.
Pair this outfit with a casual watch with a rubber band. Avoid wearing sneakers. Instead, you can wear suede shoes or even skate shoes, as they are casual but a bit more elegant than sneakers.
I hope that my advice on business casual attire will help you. Feel free to ask me questions about it in the comments below and remember these fashion rules to achieve this kind of office style effortlessly.
Text & fashion collages ⒸThe Daily Fashion Inspiration.
WHAT IS YOUR FAV BUSINESS CASUAL ATTIRE?